It's been awhile since I've typed/written anything, but today I feel compelled to tell you about a new business that is currently looking to open its doors in Connecticut.
Dessert First Baking Company is the name of this fabulous company, owned by the incomparable Gena Homola. Gena is a graduate of the University of Connecticut, Simmons College, and the Connecticut Culinary Institute. With an MBA, a heart the size of Alaska, and one of the strongest work ethics I've ever come across, Gena has been dreaming about this bakery since her freshman year at UConn over 10 years ago, probably even longer than that.
I only know she's been dreaming about this business since freshman year at UConn because I was lucky enough to be living next door to her in "Ghetto West". My roommate at the time was psychotic and mean and had one of the ugliest souls I've ever seen. This prompted Gena and I to spend a lot of time together in her room, which was the beginning of what would become one of my most cherished friendships. It didn't take long to realize that we wanted to be roommates the following year, and that was one of the best things that's happened to me in my lifetime.
I know it sounds over-dramatic, but this is me we're talking about. Gena quickly became one of my best friends, and certainly the person who heard every single detail of my life, and not simply because she was the one I lived with, but because she listened. And cared about what she was hearing. She came to see every single one of the plays I was cast in, and she was there for me without hesitation when something bad was going on in my life. She still is.
Gena is amazing. Since the day I met her, she's known she wanted to open and run her own business. Everything she has done has led up to now, when all she needs is the ability to open the doors and start serving customers.
She has the skills as an amazing baker. She has the skills as an incredible business woman. She has the skills as a person to provide top-notch customer service to every single one of her customers. Not to mention her ability to make you smile no matter what you're going through.
I'm proud of Gena, and so very excited for this next step.
You can help her. Even if you don't know her, I promise you it will be worth the two minutes it takes.
Go here. Create a screen name, provide your email address, and leave a comment. Hit Vote. Do this once, or as many times as you please.
If Gena wins, she will receive a $30,000 grant. That's money she doesn't have to pay back (for those of you who may not know how a grant works). Free money to open her doors and fill our bellies with her incredible food.
Thank you in advance. I hope that someday SOON I'll be making trips to her shop in CT and sharing in the joy that is her baking.
Love you Gena!
You're so sweet Meg, thank you!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome!
ReplyDeleteUpdate everyone: You can only vote once. Apparently if more than one vote is registered from the same email address, it isn't counted, and could disqualify the entry.
So -- vote anyway, and spread the word!
Personally, I think it's absurd that you can only vote once, but I don't make the rules.